Click for Delta Click for Nordhavn Click for Mulder Click for Mag Bay Click for Glendinning

Battery Charger help/question

Discussion in 'Post Yacht' started by Hermen Ferraz, Nov 22, 2017.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Hermen Ferraz

Hermen Ferraz Member

So i think my battery charger is having issues, the boat came with 12V 8A8D batteries and one battery was fully charged but the other wasn’t, granted not by very much the itbwas at 11.80 but still prevented one of my engines to start. I charged the battery of t of the boat. By the way wow what a difficult task and that battery is heavy. Once i put the battery in it started.

I was given two options either when the previous owner installed these batteries he didn’t adjust the battery charger correctly to the type of battery or my charger needs to be replaced.

Any comments ideas would be greatly appreciated
  2. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

11.8 volts is pretty much dead. You need to take a volt meter and see what both batteries are reading in Volts. First with the charger off. Then turn the charger on and see if the voltage goes up on both. The battery charger might not be charging at all. You should see around 12.8 volts if they're fully charged.....maybe 13.2 if the charger is charging. Why wouldn't you just charge the battery in place? There shouldn't be an adjustment for AGM.
  3. Hermen Ferraz

Hermen Ferraz Member

Thank you for advice I wont have a day off till Friday I will try to do that.

Honestly this was a mistake due to new to me boat and wasn't 100% sure of what to do, in my previous boats I just had normal marine batteries, this one has AGM which I didn't know how expensive they were until today. You can say huge oversight on my part. Trying to do my own work and learning in the process
  4. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

AGM's aren't that much more than flooded lead acid, and think of how much time you spend adding water to the batteries over their 3 year lifespan. Most chargers utilize the same setting for flooded and AGM, gel has lower charging profiles.
  5. Hermen Ferraz

Hermen Ferraz Member

Okay now i see, thank you very much.
  6. ranger58sb

ranger58sb Senior member

Many newer chargers offer several different profiles, sometimes a couple for flooded, a couple for AGMs, a couple for gels, etc... and some even let you custom set the exact voltages so you can match what your battery manufacturer recommends. The ProMariner ProNautic (and the Sterling counterpart) are examples...

-Chris
  7. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Just replaced one of two, 2 year old 8D8s on a customers boat. Looked like a bad charger also.
    Bad cell in the one bad battery.
    lil 100 amp battery toaster showed low but fair to good. Never could get a full charge on suspect battery or channel.
    Battery was a bit warm. Worked well for the house but could not start a motor from it.

500 amp carbon pile load proved the battery was worthless.
    Hydro proved one bad cell.

Battery charger working fine now.
  8. Hermen Ferraz

Hermen Ferraz Member

So it has a newer battery charger,

Mastervolt 40amp Charger put in 2016

Anyone have an idea if that’s enough i would think it needs a 50.

Also batteries were put New in 2015
  9. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

I like the mastervolt stuff. 40 amps will do fine. Total up your amp requirments if needed, to ensure your not overtaxing the charger.
    2 month old battery should be checked with this problem.
  10. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

His boat is 12 volts though. I'd recommend changing all of your DC lighting over to LED, or at least in the salon.
  11. Hermen Ferraz

Hermen Ferraz Member

That’s in the works actually it’s on the to do list for this weekend.