Click for YF Listing Service Click for Abeking Click for Cross Click for Mulder Click for Perko

B1/B2 ANNOTATION

Discussion in 'Yacht Crews' started by Shanevictor88, Feb 27, 2015.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Shanevictor88

Shanevictor88 New Member

Hi guys, I was hopping someone could inform me about the "annotation" attached to my US VISA. I had my visa cancelled in the Bahamas a while back and had to reapply. I managed to get a new visa but with the annotation to the boat I'm still currently working on printed in it. My question is am I able to work on other boats with this annotation on my visa? I am looking for a new challenge as I have been on my boat for nearly 2 years but would just like some insight into my situation before I take any further steps. Thanks for any advise you might have!
  2. Ken Bracewell

Ken Bracewell Senior Member

Are you sure you have a B1/B2, and not just a B1?
    In any event, you should reapply for a new visa, otherwise you may end up with trouble at the border.
  3. ychtcptn

ychtcptn Senior Member

I've never seen it attached to the visa, but I have seen it on the stamp/I-94 when you come into the US, if this is what it is don't worry. If it is attached to the actual visa I think it is a problem. I guess depending where you are right now you could go and ask at a consulate or C&BP office, just ask for a supervisor. You will most likely have to return to your home country and re-apply, a lot will depend on why your original visa was revoked, but seeing as they gave you another that is a good sign.
    Just make sure you have all the proper information ahead of time. Recently there was a good article in Dockwalk on visa's and yachty's, worth a read.
  4. Shanevictor88

Shanevictor88 New Member

Yes I have been stamped in with a B1 on my actual VISA as well as the annotation to the boat I'm currently on. So as I understand I'm unable to change boats as I am " married" to the one I'm on now? The only way I can sort this situation out is by going home and applying for a new visa? Thank you for the help it's much appreciated
  5. ychtcptn

ychtcptn Senior Member

I think you are confusing your B1/B2 visa with your entry stamp. The visa is the page in your passport with all your information and picture, usually it is good for 10 years.
    Upon arrival in the US you used to have to fill out an I-94 which you would keep the stub in your passport and they would stamp your passport with the date you need to leave and whether you are B1 or B2, and sometimes the boat name.
    Now all they do is stamp your passport and no need to fill out an I-94. If your passport is stamped with the boat name and your expiration date, your best bet is to fly out of the country somewhere or go home even better, stay at least a week and then return and be stamped in on your B2 as a tourist. If you leave the boat and stay until your stamped stay expires your are breaking the law as your are no longer here on business, that being said I have had many crew leave the boat while in the US and continue on staying in the US without leaving.
    If you just so happen to attain a new job while in the US, (which it is illegal to be looking while in US), it is best to leave the US, preferably go home for a while and then return as a crew member for said boat with all the relevant paper work.
    One last thought, be careful putting your name on the internet looking for work pages, I have heard several instances of US C&BP looking at daywork 123 and others for names, even calling them up and then deporting. I had two crew loose their Visa because they were found out to be looking for work.
  6. Ken Bracewell

Ken Bracewell Senior Member

I think he has it right, Randy. If you check out the visa page, there is a spot for annotation on the lower left side. My first officer has run into this with crew in the past and they are, in-fact, only allowed to work on the vessel listed if there is an annotation.
  7. ychtcptn

ychtcptn Senior Member

Didn't think of that Ken, I have only seen it once a long time ago. In that case, looks like he needs to go home and get it sorted.
    These Visa issues are becoming more and more troublesome, if I could find enough US crew I wouldn't have to deal with it!