Click for YF Listing Service Click for YF Listing Service Click for Nordhavn Click for Cross Click for Mulder

Azimut 70 Sea Jet

Discussion in 'Azimut Yacht' started by elsupremo, Apr 27, 2007.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. elsupremo

elsupremo Senior Member

I'm wondering if anyone here has had any experience with the older Azimut model 70 Sea Jet. I know that, for some very elusive reason, Azimut does not appear to be a favorite on this forum, I love the brand and this model looks very intriguing to me. From the pictures I have seen of this boat, the 70 looks much more like a large yacht to me than the newer 68. It looks like a smaller "megayacht", rather than a "large boat".

If anyone has had any experience or knowledge of the Sea Jet, please share it with me and I will be very appreciative.
    :)
  2. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

If we are only talking design, I agree with you. Azimut was nicer ten years ago, the 40-43, the 70 and the 100 Jumbo. All contemporary and good looking. Since then, I must admit that the interiors have been even better, but the exteriors are not at all to my taste.

So if you like the 70 Sea Jet, make a survey to find out the weak points and if it passes, I think you will have a more timeless boat than the present line....
  3. elsupremo

elsupremo Senior Member

Thanks AMG. I hoping for some more responses! C'mon guys! :)
  4. nilo

nilo Senior Member

azimut sea jet 70

Dear Elsupremo,

I assume you do not want us to confess that "indeed Azimut is good value and we have personal bias against the brand". Joking aside, I have had an Azimut boat and my impression, they are not built based on quality but the company has a very good understanding what the public, who is not experienced in boating, wants and they address to them. Because there had been a considerable number of new comers to boating all over the world in the recent years, they were able to attract new buyers all the time and still grow the business.

What you express about sea jet 70 is very much in line with this factor. Indeed sea jet looks like a much larger boat than it is. So up side, in a marina one can boast that he/she has a large boat, but at sea it is a very poor performer. I recall once cruising across the bay of Taranto, I have come in contact with and Azimut 85, which is much larger than the sea jet 70. I was driving my Ferretti 68 and there was some chop coming in from the beam. We passed by the Azimut 85 and arrived in Cratone something like an hour earlier and then when they came alongside us their comment was how come with that smaller boat we were able to proceed much faster and more stable compared to them. No need to evaluate further details, reason was we were sitting much lower in the water.

So, if you are going to sit in the dock, Azimut sea jet is ok, but if you want to feel safe and cruise distances it is not the best choice.
  5. elsupremo

elsupremo Senior Member

Hi Nilo, thank you very much for sharing your opinion. I do appreciate it.

I'm relatively young and have no "professional" boating experience, but I've accrued decent experience with my 42' Sea Ray and with smaller boats. I'll readily admit I have no experience with larger boats, and I'm not particularly knowledgeable about the ride characteristics of boats in the 50-70 ft. range. So, your comments don't at all offend me but they do surprise me.
    I've been on 55 (new), 58 (older), and 62 (new) Azimuts, and I never had a feeling they were lacking much in quality. My perception is, being part of Azimut-Benetti, they have a nice heritage and would be very fine boats. They always seem very comparable to the Ferretti's I see...is this really not the case?

I'm very open to comments here. I want my family to feel very safe in the ocean, and I'm often bringing along people who aren't too comfortable with the sea. I'll confess that my Sea Ray does not ride well - it feels cheap, doesn't take chop well at all, pounds a lot, and generally doesn't feel very safe. It's been my assumption that an Azimut 55 or bigger would feel solid, smooth, and very safe even in some slightly rougher conditions. However, I've never been on one at sea, so I don't know if I'm correct - that's why I'm asking here.

To any knowledgeable readers - how do Azimuts perform? Are they good quality, or is Nilo correct? Please share your opinions/experiences, good or bad.
  6. azureazimut

azureazimut New Member

My family has had a new 68' Azimut for the past 2 years. It has been great, and has made the trip from NJ to Miami and back twice. There have been no major or even serious problems with the boat, although we have a full time crew of two to perform maintenance. We love it so much we have already bought a new one.
  7. nilo

nilo Senior Member

dear azureazimute,

congratulations for your new purchase, i hope you enjoy that for years to come.

as to the discussion on sea jet, i want to put issues into a context, otherwise we wil not be having a fair discussion.

1- the issue was sea jet looking much larger than other boats of her size.
    2- azimut 68' is much lower than sea jet on the sea and i know that she also behaves much better.
    3- when we discuss quality we should consider systems, hull strength and in general not the interior furniture/fabrics or lay out only. what most of the people do experience are the stuff you touch and feel when you are on a boat like azimut or ferretti and not the other hidden details. azimut and i have to admit also ferretti recently having understood this public appeal they put more emphasis on the soft side of things.
    4. if one is not hands on with his/her boat, then these issues are dealt by the crew and they are the ones facing the difficulties.
    5. check the second hand prices, why do you think they are loosing value so fast?
    ;)

8. elsupremo

elsupremo Senior Member

Nilo,
    I think you're taking one thing I said and making it something much bigger. The fact that, in pictures, the boat seems to look more like a large yacht is NOT the only reason I was interested in her. It was just one thing that occurred to me that drew me toward her.

Here is some things I think about the 70 Sea Jet:
    1) Price - some good deals out there on some with not too many hours.
    2) Quality - My understanding has been that Azimut builds a solid boat that performs well on the open water. Magazine reviews and my impressions on boarding a few Azimuts have given me this idea. If a knowledgeable person knows otherwise, I would love to hear it.
    3) Performance - still a pretty quick boat for its size.
    4) Looks - Looks more like larger yachts tend to, in my opinion. As AMG noted, has classical looks that seem timeless compared to some other comparable designs.
    5) 4 Staterooms, spacious boat.
    6) Sport yacht layout with fly and lower helm, spacious salon are all things I'm looking for.

So there is a list of things I'm thinking about the Azimut 70 Sea Jet, just so people can see where I'm coming from on this.

Continued input is appreciated. AzureAzimut, THANK YOU for your comments. I'm glad to hear that you're enjoying it so. I'm wondering if the 68 is a big improvement quality/performance wise from the 70? I would be surprised if this is the case.

9. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

There are still miracles, this afternoon an Azimut 85 Ultima arrived here!

I think her name is Giliana, registered in Road Harbour BVI. So with the right spirit even an Azimut can travel a long way...;)

Attached Files:

10. nilo

nilo Senior Member

sea jet 70

dear elsupremo,
    i am sorry if i have offended you, i wish you success and hope you enjoy your experience with the sea jet. i know boats are only tools to enjoy life on the water, so it does not matter much whether it is this or that boat.:) :)
  11. elsupremo

elsupremo Senior Member

:confused: *Sigh* No, Nilo, you did not offend me at all, not even a little bit. I only wanted to clarify the reasons I like her, and that it wasn't only that it looks like a bigger boat. :)
  12. elsupremo

elsupremo Senior Member

Researching yachts can be so difficult because trying them out isn't like getting a ride around the block at a car dealership. You depend on knowledgeable people with experience of the boats to share their opinions and experiences.
  13. Tony Hammer

Tony Hammer New Member

The Azimut Sea Jet was one of the most successful yacht built by Azimut in their facility in Viareggio (Near Pisa) the mecanic, piping and electrical plant are very similar to the larger Azimut yachts. I've seen one of this Yach equipped with stabilizer plant and thus improve a lot sea confort an sea stability even if the top speed decrease a couple knots.
    Furniture, carpentry and upholstery are very detailed and it is very easy to drive even in small marina.

Attached Files:

14. PowerYacht

PowerYacht Guest

The Azimut 70 Seajet is a great boat

she is build as a large motor yacht and in facts feels bigger then actually is, the saloon and flybridge are very big
    she was constructed from 1996 - 2000 and was built in Viareggio
    I always was on the beleive that Azimut constructed in the Benetti establishment where always better produced to the Torino cousins especially at the period
    she has a Righini designed exterior and is available in 3 or 4 cabins
    the 1999 introduced 68 Plus was the demise for this model, altough a bit smaller in size
    the model was more succesful to the USA market and clients then EU ones, the model in 2001 was then updated to become the 74 Solar with a longer hull, more spacious interior and bigger garage space for the toys aft

I think if you like her you should get a good survey done and move on from there
    as for the comparison with Ferretti, I admit that Ferretti have always a small step ahead of quality but I would not make too much of it especially in the bigger Viareggio build models as is the case for the 70 Seajet
  15. elsupremo

elsupremo Senior Member

Thank you for your input, both of you! I'm very appreciative for your thoughts. :)
  16. Bill Crawford

Bill Crawford New Member

Azimut 70 Seajet Experience

We own a 2000 70 Seajet. It was built for us new and we have had great success over the years. We boat in the Great Lakes and it is extremely sea worthy. We have talked about getting a new boat, however we love this one so much we will continue to maintain it for years to come. My wife is an interior designer and we were able to modify the interior substantially while being built.
  17. Mike 1001

Mike 1001 New Member

Azimut 70 Seajet

Good choice! The Sea Jet is a great sea worthy yacht. I am a current owner of a 2001 Azimut 70' Sea Jet for the past 5 years. I originally cruised her in the Bahamas and FL the first year I purchased her, I have summered her on the great lakes for the last 4 years. She cruised the Atlantic coast from FT Lauderdale, St Lawrence to the Great Lakes, she is always away from the dock and I have yet to experience any issues. This is my 8th yacht to date and my 3rd Azimut, the Sea Jet is the best yacht I've owned so far. I have had much bigger yachts (Codecasa) yet my 70' Azimut Sea Jet cruises and feels like a much larger yacht.
  18. YachtForums

YachtForums Administrator

If I was researching Azimut Seajets and came across this thread, I would be very confused. We have a few one-post-wonders here, each touting the Seajet. Maybe it's admin's intuition gone wrong, but I'm beginning to suspect a broker's game is afoot. A low level IP search didn't return a positive result, but I may opt for a high level search at a later date.

YF member "Nilo" is a very respected member of our community and and I would trust his opinion above all others, first.
  19. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

You might be onto it but of so they must be patient SOB's given the age of the thread.

It is kinda interesting to see the same occupation and interests amongst the posters here.
  20. Mike 1001

Mike 1001 New Member

I recently tuned in to Yacht Forum when I googled information on older boats and came across "Elsupremo's" post, I didn't even read "Nilo's" post at the time. I am not a broker, never was! But as a current owner of 2001 Azimut Sea Jet I stand behind my earlier statements!! I will admit though that I did not pay attention to "Elsuprimo's" original post date.