Click for Northern Lights Click for Ocean Alexander Click for Nordhavn Click for Cross Click for Nordhavn

AV / IT Training and Education

Discussion in 'Licensing & Education' started by Canuker, Jan 19, 2015.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Canuker

Canuker Guest

Every ETO job posting I read emphasizes the importance of having strong "AV / IT" skills. With this in mind I'm assuming that many ETO's have a background or degree in computer science of some sort. Fortunately, for those of us who don't have such a degree, but still wish to learn, there are a great deal of free online IT courses. Many of these course are from accredited universities where you can obtain a certificate upon graduation (all for free!!!!)

Seeing as how the field of IT encompasses many different specialties I was looking to help narrow the field down to a few essential area's of IT that would be considered an asset for an ETO or aspiring ETO. What specialties, skills and programs would one be wise to invest their time into learning and becoming proficient at?

I'm also aware that ETO's are responsible for fixing and installing satellite and navigational equipment. I assume these skills can only truly be obtained from real world hands on experience and training- not from some free online course (the same goes for for AV) That being said where could one go about learning to operate and trouble shoot these systems without enrolling in a 4 year college program or enrolling in the navy / coast guard...if at all possible.

Long Story Short:
    What are the essential most commonly used programs, technology and skill's an aspiring ETO should learn if they wanted to increase their chances of getting hired and ultimately be of use on their vessel?
  2. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Networking is a large part of it - IP Addresses, Port Numbers not standing in a bar sucking down suds with ya mates.

If you have good electrical qualifications and can find your way around a network solving common issues while you are at it this will be a good start.

You can also aim at being a marine electrician on the bigger ships and offshore where you will make a lot more than working ashore and the need to make sure the bosses Ipad can charge wirelessly while he is on the john will be a lot less.