Click for Abeking Click for Abeking Click for Furuno Click for YF Listing Service Click for Mulder

Appropriate Cost of Engine Service

Discussion in 'Technical Discussion' started by Seasmaster, Jul 20, 2017.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Seasmaster

Seasmaster Senior Member

My 6 year old Volvo Penta D6-435 propulsion engine with less than 900 hours and 6 year old Cummins Onan Genset with 1020 hours is due for a service. It's not a rebuild, just an extensive service including filters, coolant, oil, zincs, turbo aftercooler, impellers, hoses, belts, etc. The one estimate I received is almost $7000.00.

I don't mind supporting the "local economy", and not quibbling about a couple of bucks - I just want to make confirm the estimate is in the ball park.

The issue I have is my location - Space Coast. If the work was thousands less in Fort Lauderdale Area, I'll move the boat there.

Thanks, in advance, for the input.
  2. rpontual

rpontual Member

You could get a quote from http://www.jasmarine.com/. I use them and they come to my boat in Miami Beach. They discriminate the service cost from travel time, this should help you decide it is worth moving the boat.
  3. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Call Fordham marine in Jacksonville. Best Volvo shop period.....
  4. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

Travel time is going to be the killer. But sounds to me like that quote is right in the ballpark if cleaning heat exchangers, aftercoolers,setting valve lash etc. It's been a long time since I've done a D6 service, but I remember the filters being outrageous and lots of them. Off the top of my head 3 oil filters per engine at about $80 each, 2 fuel filters at around $80 each. etc. etc. Jaz in Fort Lauderdale can give you an estimate, but I can tell you this.....the fuel burned to get it there is not going to be worth it. Now Jacksonville might be worth it, but still a day of your time to get it there and back......if it's an hour drive each way for the mechanics then it might be worth it.
  5. Fletcher500

Fletcher500 Member

I have 2 of the D6, but the 370 hp models. Mine are still under the warranty, so I can't touch them. That number sounds about right. Maintaining the greeen monsters is not cheap.
  6. Fletcher500

Fletcher500 Member

It's probably on your list for all heat exchangers but I would do them all if any doubts, especially the fuel coolers.

I am going to hit them with Rydlyme one of these days.
  7. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Please put any chemical treatment off till absolutely necessary.
    The coatings the mfg's apply are thin and will wear quicker with acids. Like our old outboards, flushes are required from time to time to rinse out the silt.
    Clean water operation is the best, when operating in silt laden water, rinse more often. Always keep zincs up where required.
    I have learned thru many years, cooperiours-nickel fails to Barnical buster.
  8. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

It maybe a little high but if it means taking off the aftercoolers to clean them plus changing some hoses... it's not bad assuming the guy doing it does a good job