Click for JetForums Click for YF Listing Service Click for Mulder Click for YF Listing Service Click for Nordhavn

Aftercooler zinc in Cummins QSB

Discussion in 'Post Yacht' started by snowycreek, May 4, 2017.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. snowycreek

snowycreek New Member

Has anyone had a problem with the brass collar for the anode spinning in the aftercooler cover on Cummins QSB ? If so, is there any fix other than replacing the whole cover with one that will likely have the same problem?

Another question: How is it possible for the aftercooler zinc to be effective when it is not connected to the bonding system and is mounted on a composite material that I think surely must not be electrically conductive?
  2. sigarn

sigarn Member

Might be better to post this on boatdiesel.com

I have used that site for engine specific info and it's a great site for engine specific questions.
  3. d_meister

d_meister Senior Member

The water is the conductor.
  4. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

composite material ???
    Aluminum and brass/copper. The sea water is the electrolyte.
    The zinc is attached to (screwed into) the alloy case.
  5. snowycreek

snowycreek New Member

Yes, the B series motors, I have QSB 6.7 motors, have a cover on the ends of the aftercooler that is made of a composite, non metallic, material. I have heard it called Bakelite by Cummins employees. Bakelite is quite non-conductive and was used as electrical insulators. Now, there may be a wire that bonds the anode through the bakelite to the body of the aftercooler that I have not seen but without connecting the anode to the metal of the aftercooler, I don't see how it could work. Since I have not seen any evidence of non-performing anodes, I am presuming that there is indeed some way the brass ring that the anode screws into must be connected. Or, maybe the Bakelite is not Bakelite and is instead some conductive material. Whatever it is, it is not very good at holding the brass fitting as I have now had two of them spin when removing an anode.
  6. Fishtigua

Fishtigua Senior Member

On QSBs the materials may be non-conductive but all the other parts are. Corrosive currents still pass within the the cooling liquids. Please always change your anodes on a regular schedule, it'll save you a fortune in the future.
  7. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

I have QSB 6.7 motors

Interesting, I am corrected.

I also agree with you there must be a conductor in the composite cap.
    A zinc not electricity connected to the material it is protecting, is doing more harm than good.

About the ring coming loose some ideas;
    Use some conductive grease on the threads & lighten up on tightening it down.

,rc
  8. Bigjohn4300

Bigjohn4300 New Member