Click for Abeking Click for Perko Click for Northern Lights Click for YF Listing Service Click for Westport

Aft Deck glass replacement on 97 54' Viking Sport Yacht

Discussion in 'Viking Yacht' started by Gregg Gaskins, Mar 22, 2017.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Gregg Gaskins

Gregg Gaskins New Member

Our detail guy shattered one of our original tinted sliding windows on the aft deck of our 1997 Viking Sport Yacht. Replacement has turned into a much bigger task then ever anticipated. The bought is now positioned in Ft. Pierce, Florida. For some reason most typical glass companies are shying away from it. With all the Viking Sport Fish and Hatteras's around the area, there has to be a glass company that is familiar with the process. Any suggestions in the Ft. Pierce / Stuart area?

Also looking for info on process of replacing the aft deck windows. Will the window raise up and then slide out of the track/frame towards the inside of the aft deck or does it require the removal of the trim on the outside of the window frame, located outside the boat, with window being removed from outside the boat?

Thanks for any assistance.
    Gregg
  2. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

Call the Viking Service Yard in Riviera Beach and talk to them about replacement.
  3. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

4. Gregg Gaskins

Gregg Gaskins New Member

I've called them twice, only to receive a text message reply. Instructed me to call Viking in NJ. Folks in Viking NJ, actually answered phone and gave me a contact of the company he thought actually made the glass for Viking in 1997. I was hoping to maybe get spec's and dim's. The lady at New Jersey Glass Co., informed me they did not make the glass for Viking in 1997. Back to square one again.

I am surprised the Viking Service Center hasn't offered a solution in FL. May try them again on Monday, hopefully, actually speak with someone.
  5. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

Cut a piece of plexi or something in the dimensions of the glass you need, then send it to a glass company as a template.
  6. d_meister

d_meister Senior Member

Could it be be more productive to just remove the entire window assembly, frame and all, and take it around to glass shops?
  7. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

It's possible. But I've always had to have a yacht window ordered as it's laminated or tempered glass and I don't think it can be cut locally. I do not know, to be honest with you.
  8. captholli

captholli Senior Member

South Florida is seriously lacking in the regard to yacht glazing's for the amount of yachts in one localized area I've spent days on this topic researching, calling, meeting and requesting quotations for big and small jobs for adding glazing in the top sides of vessels to replacing outdated salon windows into two or so seamless panels. Here are your choices locally or in Florida.

Avmar Marine Glass in Boca Raton, Rick Simmons, Very hard to get ahold of and harder to get a quote from.
    Marine Glass Specialties in Odessa Fl. (near Tampa) Chuck Marler, Responds to requests for quotes and is very expensive.

I've used Lookout Boat Windows in Atlantic beach N.C. on a couple of small jobs where I could either freight the old glass up to them or provide them with door skin templates of what was needed. Unlike the two other companies Lookout doesn't have the ability of utilizing
    expensive 3 dimensional scanning equipment for computer cutting glass to its frames or flashings but they still provide an excellent service at a realistic price point for what you needs are.
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2017
  9. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Not so, They set up laser scanner and digitize the curve, Then they can laminate the glass and build the frame.
    Just had a meet with them last Wednesday. That's why I piped post #3.
    But, The OP stated a flat sliding window. From what I learned, this should not be a problem.
    Something else I learned, no two windows are the same (on Ole Hatteras's). Working with the rep and a tape measure, he proved that.
    I had already learned this the hard way on a Southern Cross (Australian build) window.
  10. captholli

captholli Senior Member

Sorry Ralph, Didn't see your mention of them. I know that they do a lot of FRP frames for older Hatts. but I needed them for the glazing aspect. Three dimensional scans are different from digitizing laser measurements other than compound curves . On flat panes where two dimensional measurements will do but when measuring compound curves between the hull flashings and glazing than that's a altogether different ball game. When I used them Last time in 2010 they did a great job for 19 mm glazing panels in master S/R top sides. At that time they used templates because they didn't have the capability of 3-D. Each of the glass panes weighed 800 pounds and had perfect offsets. Glad that they've invested in 3-D machinery. Now they need to market themselves in Forida and get the business they deserve.
  11. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Just seconds ago, received our first quote for replacing two windows the owner wanted serviced first. For what all is involved; New safety glass, dark tinted, already secured in fiberglass frames, painted to match, just epoxy them in, it looks like fair number$ for what it is.
    The next set will be wheel house windows. The curved set and centers including opening center vent window (not factory).

The next number$ will include the side windows and frames (some sliders) and aft.
    Hatteras of Liquordale supported the aft extension and used the same Georgia company (now out of business) that made the factory windows. These last curved and flat windows do not match either (P & S).

The sliders I know will co$t a bit extra.

Sorry to get off the OP but these folks are the only people to answer any of my research calls and e-mails. Just lucky the rep was passing thru my hood and saved some time before his first look. Learned a lot also.

They also replace the Hatteras port light alloy rims with glass rims. Were going there also,,,, next year.

The rep showed me pictures of Viking and Bertram work. I pointed my Bertram out on the next dock. Whole other way of fastening. They can do it also.
    BUT, I have to win a Lotto before our ole Bert can get new windows.
  12. d_meister

d_meister Senior Member

I've had the same experience as Captholli in South Florida/ Fort Lauderdale. If you want the boatyards to leave you alone, just mention replacement glass. I had a tempered, metric sliding glass bust out in St. Lucia, and could not get anyone to do the job at any price when I got to Florida. I eventually found someone that could make, and then break during installation, two laminated safety glass replacements, but only on the bench. I got some help from a crew house and pulled the frame.. Fortunately, they hung in there and cut a regular piece of glass and then sent it out to be tempered.
  13. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

I had First Cabin replace a curved glass windshield that was broken, they made a template and sent the piece to somewhere in the Carolina's.... the job came out well but that was like 8 years ago.
  14. Gregg Gaskins

Gregg Gaskins New Member

Thanks for all the information, Rick at Avmar Marine Glass in Boca now has the opposite side window as a template. Hopefully, get this resolved soon. Hope to take a maiden voyage to Abaco's in a few weeks.
  15. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Before he starts cutting material, make sure the opposite template is an exact match. They are NOT so on Hatteras.
    Good luck.
  16. Gregg Gaskins

Gregg Gaskins New Member

Good advice, I should of had them install to verify prior to sending to Rick. I'm told he is the go-to-guy for Viking in West Palm.