Click for Mag Bay Click for Comfort Click for YF Listing Service Click for Glendinning Click for Burger

A fist full of new observations

Discussion in 'Burger Yacht' started by burgersboat, Nov 9, 2007.

1. burgersboat

burgersboat New Member

Boy have I heard some new things about Burgers.
    #1. Heard today that Burgers has a contract for a new boat, Size ?? but it has a new twist.
    It's going to be built for someone from Europe that doesn't trust an Aluminum hull, so they want it built out of steel. My source doesn't know if it's going to be built along the same thoughts Feadship used to be built on , Steel hull w/an aluminum house. But he knew of the method. Peterson Builders (in Sturgeon Bay) built boats that had Steel Hulls w/aluminum Topsides.
    I have a piece of the metal that is used to join those 2 different metals, 1/2 steel & 1/2 aluminum. It's an interesting piece.
    Burgers is going to have their hands full if this is the case. There's no-one down there that has ever worked with steel.
    I hope it's (the boat)is not too heavy for the 500 tn. "Marine Travel Lift"

#2. I saw Don O'Kief at the bank yesterday. He said he is semi-retired, but is building small aluminum boats on the side. He said he's got 1 boat built and 3 in the works. They're 33' long with an 8' beam. He wants them to be able to transport them down the road. so he has to keep the beam @ around 8' wide..

#3. Burgers laid off 40 workers a couple of weeks ago, I believe that's because of stopping the work on hull # 503. I believe that's the hull #.
  2. Loren Schweizer

Loren Schweizer YF Associate Writer

That "piece of metal" is likely 'Detaclad', developed by DuPont, and something that the U.S. Navy has been using for decades... not to mention the boatbuilders down in Alabama such as Real Ships which have produced steel/aluminum expedition-style vessels for over ten years.
    It ain't rocket science. Plus, welding steel is a lot easier than tacking aluminum plates together IMHO.
  3. burgersboat

burgersboat New Member

Maybe so, but it's the weight of steel vs. Aluminum that I find interesting.

When you get over 110 feet, those bottom plates start getting thicker & heavier.

The last steel hull that left Burgers was , I think the Titian a 96 footer built in the late 50's or early 60's.
  4. Topher

Topher New Member

You are correct. It is Detacoupling.
  5. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member