Click for Comfort Click for Abeking Click for Glendinning Click for Delta Click for Walker

52 sportfish 86-90

Discussion in 'Hatteras Yacht' started by dlc, Aug 11, 2011.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. dlc

dlc New Member

I am looking at boats of this vintage. They look to be pretty good value. Any thoughts / comments / issues would be appreciated.
  2. Ormond Bert54

Ormond Bert54 Senior Member

I'm not sure any particular set of years is a better value. It's possible that the best value can be had in a 2000 or so where it has just reached maximum depreciation as long as it was beautifully maintained.

I know my boat seemed very nice with seemingly only basic work needed.

The smoke has cleared and, including that excellent purchase price representing the "great value" I have well over double my initial purchase price into a 1984 boat. (1984 Bertram 54)

Oh ... and I still have one engine out of it ... and it's been 1 and 1/2 years since purchase.

So ... there may be some good values. Just make sure you have several hundred thousand more dollars out there because you might need it AND MORE!
  3. ArielM

ArielM Senior Member

i have this exact boat 1988. great boat no issues. its built like a tank.

Anything in particular that you had questions about?
  4. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

That should become the default popup when anyone posts or searches for "is this a good deal?"
  5. dlc

dlc New Member

52 hatteras sportfish with 8v92detroits

i am specifically interested in information on this boat, engines, hull regarding
  6. dlc

dlc New Member

1987 52 hatteras sportfish with 8v92 detroits

i am interested in information about this boat and the engines. issues, reliability, ride, efficiency. thx dlc
  7. HIBANX

HIBANX Member

These are Great boats, no question about it. The hulls are rock solid, very few structural problems. The biggest down side is the engines. Almost all older vintage Hatts have Detroit's in them. The 53,54,55,and 60 footers have 12-71's. The 52's, 50's and 46's have 8-92's. The 43's and smaller have 6-92's. All of the engines are extremely reliable when the hp is not maxed out. All of them were offered with various hp ratings. If you find one with modest hp you can expect good service life. The ones that are squeezing out a lot of power have a short life span. The obvious trade off is speed. If you find a boat with fresh engines for a good price then you can expect 1500-2000 hours from it if run gently and well maintained. Otherwise factor in the cost rebuilds at $3,000 per cylinder on average. I own a '79 43 sport fish and am currently shopping for a 52. I just can't justify spending three or 4 times as much money for a newer, lighter, faster boat. Good luck!