Click for Burger Click for Cross Click for Perko Click for MotorCheck Click for Mag Bay

46' post high water bilge alarm

Discussion in 'Post Yacht' started by Matt46post, Jul 23, 2017.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Matt46post

Matt46post Senior Member

hi
    I have a Rule high water bilge indicator on the bridge of my 1980 46' and I would like to check and or replace the float switch, I can't find it anywhere in the bilge is there a common place they would put the float switch on the 46', it's probably been removed , can anybody suggest the best place to install the float switch?
    Thank you
    Matt
  2. porthole

porthole Member

On my 1980 42 it was up front under the forward berth. Above and to the port side of the main bilge pump. It also operated a high water bilge pump.
  3. Matt46post

Matt46post Senior Member

Thank you ,I haven't looked up there yet
  4. Beau

Beau Senior Member

remember when you are looking that its going to be higher than normal.
  5. Matt46post

Matt46post Senior Member

Thanks for the reply , forward port on my boat is two bunks with no access to the bilge or side of the hull under them , If it's there it will have to be accesed thru the floor board that covers the main bilge,I am heading to my boat tommorow so I will check it out and actually get my head down into bilge or use a mirror to see ,hopefully it's there
  6. Davidoc

Davidoc Senior Member

On my 91 46, the high water alarm switch is setting high on a Stringer in the center of the boat near the transom in the lazarette. It is attached to a large Bell that's located under the cockpit freezer cabinet. Below the high-water float switch is another float switch that's attached to an aft bilge pump. That switch, when it comes on lights a light on the fly bridge that says aft bilge. That gives you an early indication that you have water where it's not supposed to be. It comes on first. If you ever get the high-water alarm Bell your aft pump is not pumping water overboard.
  7. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

Not familiar with these boats but usually high water alarms woudl be near the aft section of bilges as water tend to accumulate aft underway. having the float switch mounted forward would result in delayed warnings
  8. chesapeake46

chesapeake46 Senior Member

You are correct that the bilge water runs aft underway but it runs to the bow when the boat is at rest.
    The aft pump and red indicator light serve as a warning when running, I think.
    I always felt the high water alarm was for when no one was on the boat to bring attention to her.
    The forward alarm would work for this application.
  9. RT46

RT46 Senior Member

Correct:
    in my 46 Post the float switch for the high water alarm is aft of the rear tank along the transom, you can access it by removing on of the two in-deck fish boxes.

It would not be a bad idea to add one in the forward bilge for early warning when the boat is not underway.
  10. Matt46post

Matt46post Senior Member

Thanks for all the info guys,there wasn't a high bilge warning float forward, I believe it should be in the back of the boat also , I'll check it out this weekend it's probably there, I have noticed on my boat the water tends to move forward to the forward bilge
  11. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Our ole Bert has 3 high water float switches for aft, mid (E R) & forward bilges.
    Bells in the saloon, wheel house and fly-bridge.

Our aft shower sump float switch failed at some time. Soapy water and suds in the bilge. Aft bilge pumps didn't pump suds that well.
    When all those bells went off one night, the whole marina came running and I'm just out of the shower "whats going on?".
    I was happy for the turn out as we would run to help others also.
    Pretty embarrassed for getting caught with just a towel and bad shower sump.

I was on one boat that had a lil pizo buzzer to the pumps float switch. Not loud but the owner always heard it. A reminder the pump was running. Then he had a high water alarm attached to a car hour.

I've got two electric pumps in the engine room and a crash pump on my stb main that can draw from any bilge..

I'm typing along to make a point;
    There is no such thing (IMHO) as two many alarms (the louder the better), and more back-up pumps.
  12. post46

post46 Member

13. post46

post46 Member

Remember and rough Seas the float switch will will flip around and you'll hear the Bell go off and it's not water it's only when you're in rough Seas it scared me the first time
  14. Matt46post

Matt46post Senior Member

Thank you guys for all the info,I am going to start pulling wires this weekend
  15. porthole

porthole Member

I had two, one in the rear and the main one up forward in the bilge. The forward switch set off an alarm at the helm and by the salon entrance. I was more concerned with an alarm when I was't at the boat.

I have never had an alarm go off due to rough seas as well

You said you couldn't see the bilge on your boat. Mine had access hatches almost from the bottom of the steps all the way forward. Even had a access hatch under the steps to get tot the Genny raw water intake.
  16. chesapeake46

chesapeake46 Senior Member

Mine too.
  17. post46

post46 Member

The access covers that run along the salon floor all the way forward do you keep those screwed down or is a good ideal to leave them unscrewed so an emergency you could get to the Seacock where the toilet is and other seacocks what is most people do leave them screwed in or unscrewed and my float switch on my high water alarm I guess the way we positioned it I guess it tilts upward and you know Heavy Seas 8 9 foot seas and I think that's what rings the bell on mine I probably should put it front the back instead of right to left
  18. porthole

porthole Member

Mine were screwed down when we bought the boat and then for the first or second time I had to access them. After that never screwed down again.
  19. post46

post46 Member

Thanks I don't either just one of them kind of warped up on me a little and when you walk on it you feel it move but I guess it's better to have that then to have to get underneath there an emergency situation and not be able to get to nothing thanks for the comeback
  20. porthole

porthole Member

I could feel mine move a bit occasionally, never botherd me though, since I new what it was. And not a single person ever mentioned it to me.