Click for JetForums Click for Burger Click for Ocean Alexander Click for Perko Click for Burger

42' Tiara & C12 Cats ??

Discussion in 'Tiara Yacht' started by TheBigWhit, Mar 14, 2011.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. TheBigWhit

TheBigWhit New Member

After looking around for the past 6 months I got cold feet on an older bigger sport fish boat and decided to look at newer mid sized boats. We are close to pulling the trigger on a '04 42' Tiara Open with C-12's. I started surfing and found some horror stories on the C-12 and aftercooler problems, cranks and premature wrist pin failures which evidently led to a class action lawsuit.

Does anyone have any experience with this combination or with the C-12's in a 30+/- knot fishing boat application?

Any input greatly appreciated.
  2. Fireman431

Fireman431 Senior Member

I have absolutely zero experience with C-12's, but if I read multiple stories about anyproduct which was part of a class action lawsuit, I would be hesitant about investing in it.

That being said, if those engines were manufactured after the problems were ironed out, or were repaired because of the known defect, that may shed new light into it.
  3. jcarrollgm

jcarrollgm New Member

42 Open with C12's

I have a 2006 Open with C12's. The boat is a little fuel hungry feeding all those ponies but it is a real tank on the ocean. Nothing slows it down. We love it!
    I have had zero engine problems. Have only ever used certified Cat techs for service.