Click for Mag Bay Click for Mulder Click for Walker Click for Westport Click for Ocean Alexander

38 vs. 41 Viking opinions

Discussion in 'Viking Yacht' started by Boomer, Jan 10, 2018.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Boomer

Boomer Senior Member

Looking at a 1992 38 viking and a 1989 41 viking....i would appreciate everyone's pros and cons. Thank you.
  2. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

The 41' is a lot larger boat than the 38. I don't know much about the 38, but the 41 is a good riding boat.
  3. ReelPlumber

ReelPlumber Member

I don't really have any pro's and con's but 3 more feet can make a difference in the ride for sure. Some things you should consider is what motors are in them, do they have the layout and space you like, amount of storage room, engine room and maintenance access, generator condition, etc. Can you give us some more info on the boats.
  4. Boomer

Boomer Senior Member

Both the interiors look similar with single staterooms forwards, dinettes, galley down...the 38 has original motors 1509 hours DD ti and the 41 has been repowered with yanmars...of course surveys will be performed...i was not sure of weak spots on any of these I plan on seeing this weekend...they both seem to be in average condition...no glaring issues
  5. Trinimax

Trinimax Senior Member

I have been on both boats. It seems like they get similar speeds and fuel burn with Detroit 6-71s at either 450 hp or 485 hp. Atleast that is what I gather from speaking to the owners. The 38 is a more modern looking boat with sleeker lines than the 41. The 41 will obviously have a larger interior and cockpit. Both boats came with a two stateroom layout with the galley down as an option. I believe it’s easier to find a 2 cabin 41 than it is to find a 38 with that option.

Good luck
  6. Capt Fred

Capt Fred Senior Member

Ditto on bigger is more roomier and better ride. Soft goods and electronics can make a huge difference in price.
  7. sheraton

sheraton Member

I own a 1986 41', she has 6-71 t.i. for power. A friend owns a 1990 38' he has 6-71 t.i.b. for power. The 38 is a little faster , not much just a tad, seems to burn more fuel too. I have the galley down, his is the mid galley, my salon is much more bigger, as is my galley. I would have to say the 41 is much more livable then the 38.