Click for Abeking Click for Mulder Click for Nordhavn Click for JetForums Click for Walker

1995 DD 692 thoughts

Discussion in 'Engines' started by Boomer, Oct 16, 2017.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Boomer

Boomer Senior Member

Looking to buy a used boat with 1995 DD 692's...good motors? Bad motors? Approx 1600 hours on them...any problems I should know about?

Thank you for your thoughts
  2. Lepke

Lepke Member

US West Coast. Cruise NW Passage to Alaska.
    Depends on how they're used and maintained. Not as long lived as the 71 series but the same operating principals. If you keep the rpms at 80% of hp or below and the oil clean, they last a long time. Excessive exhaust gas temperatures, especially turbo engines, is the greatest cause of short engine life. A turbo with good care and a good skipper can go 5000 hours, maybe more. A natural (non turbo) a lot more.
  3. Boomer

Boomer Senior Member

Thank you
  4. ctozz

ctozz New Member

Good info..is there a reason they are not as long lived as the 6-71? Curious since I'm in the market for boats with the same two engines and have been researching as well. Thoughts on dry liner of the 6-71 v. wet liner on the 6v92? I hear there are trade offs of course but haven't heard specifics.
  5. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

Changing coolant every 2-3 years and using the proper DD stuff is critical in 92's. 92's live about half the hours of 71's equally spec'ed. I've found after 200-500 hours the 92's don't seem to make any more power than 71's.
  6. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

If you can do a search on YF, you will find these same questions and answers dating back a ways.

71s rule.
  7. ctozz

ctozz New Member

thanks, I did a search and read a ton of information. Short summary...most of these designs are solid and if you maintain them and run them appropriately they all can live long, healthy lives. :)
  8. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Yep..
  9. Bamboo

Bamboo Senior Member

My last full time boat had a set of 16-92's with turbos and superchargers. Had each rebuilt in the middle of an 11 year employment. I had few issues and believe that was due to staying abreast of the oil and coolant changes and not running them above the 80% very often.