Click for Glendinning Click for Burger Click for Burger Click for Westport Click for Westport

1987 Chris Craft 501 keel replacement

Discussion in 'Chris Craft Connies, Commanders & Catalinas' started by Libertonia, Oct 25, 2014.

1. Libertonia

Libertonia New Member

I am currently looking to purchase a 501. The owner of one I am to look at this week says the keel needs to be replaced. He says it is detachable. Does anyone have any experience with this? Where would I find a replacement keel for such a boat? Can any good yard do this work or is there a special few? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Frank.
  2. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

The keel is the backbone of a boat. Think about what happens to a body with a broken back. What would happen to the ribs (stringers) and every other conection on the boat as it flexes with a broken backbone (keel) to support it?
  3. Libertonia

Libertonia New Member

That is my impression, however i was told the keel of this boat comes seperate from the hull. I can not find any info on it. It may just be best to walk away and look elsewhere.
  4. Old Phart

Old Phart Senior Member

Is this the only 46' Pacemaker available? o_O
  5. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

It is not all doom and gloom, the rest of the boat needs to be chocked up to take the load off the keel and to hold things straight while you do the work.

I can't imagine why someone would build a motor yacht with a removable keel. If it is a fully welded one the only way to get it off is going to be to cut it off.

Be aware that when doing this that the easiest place to re weld it is going to be from the outside so any welding that needs to be done from the inside needs to be VERY carefully considered at all times or you could well find areas become in accessible during the re build phase.

The biggest questions to ask yourself at the moment are not how to do it but is it worth doing it and is the cost realistic for what you will end up with?
  6. Old Phart

Old Phart Senior Member

Biggest question for me is:

How do you weld a fiberglass boat? o_O

1987 Chris Craft 501

https://www.google.com/#q=1987+chris+craft+501+motor+yacht
  7. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

This is a fiberglass boat. The keel would be encapulated wood most likely. The only keel replacements I've ever heard of have been on metal boats or sailboats (such as to hollow out to fill with cocaine) or if their keels snapped off. Otherwise the only one I've heard of is on the USS Constitution (Old Ironsides). I tried to find pics of this boat out of water, but was unable to locate any. I suspect it has a keel similar to Valhalla's. I'd insert a pic, but can't find how to do it (more tweeking for Carl).

Basically though you can do or replace anything if you're willing to work hard enough and pay enough, but it's just not done. As I pointed out earlier, even if the OP did this what further damage has been done to the boat as a sesult of the keel situation. Sounds like the last owner of a vessel's lifespan not wanting to be stuck with the expense and hassle of being its last owner.

BTW, "the rest of the boat needs to be chocked up to take the load off the keel and to hold things straight while you do the work." doesn't work real well with most fiberglass boats. When you block them it's down the keel and at the corners of the transom, then jackstands to keep it from falling over. Even with the keel intact a fiberglass hull will lose its shape fast if the keel isn't supported. Just look at the bottoms of some boats you see that are raised on davits and left in the air instead of put on cradles.
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2014
  8. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

My utmost apologies, I for some reason thought it was steel or alu, must have had those old Posts in my mind.

Thanks to the Arm Chair sailor and Ed for pointing out my mistake.

To the OP, Walk away if it is not designed and constructed to be detached leave it to the next guy.
  9. RER

RER Senior Member

A client of mine had a new keel built for his 48' Ocean SS. He removed the old keel by driving across the top of some rocks.
  10. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

No need for apologies K1W1. We all know you generally deal with boats a wee bit bigger than this.:) And we also know that you know your stuff.

You may also have been thinking of the older CCs that were steel or aluminum, and we've had several good threads on their rebuilding and replating, etc. Lots of welding there.
  11. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

IMG_3400.JPG

There you go. Foolish me was looking for the symbol on top and missed the "Upload a File" below. Now for the OP, does removing that keel look like a job you'd like to get involved with? IMG_3407.JPG
  12. SeaEric

SeaEric YF Historian

I spoke to a customer who owns a 1987 Chris 501. He's a hands on owner who knows his boat inside out. He says that the keel is molded in and contains no wood core. Can't imagine why it would need "replacement' unless the boat was dropped or hard grounded.
  13. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Whether wood core or molded in, the only reasons I could think of would be if it's either broken or opened and moisture intrusion allowed. Even that would be a repair, not a replace unless the damage was very severe. In any case, a good boat to walk away from.
  14. Riverdance

Riverdance Member

The seller is confused I suspect. The bottom edge of the keel may need some glass work or she had a metal "shoe" added that needs refastening. New keel? Only on sailboats
  15. Libertonia

Libertonia New Member

I would like to thank one and all for their very informed and helpful opinions and thoughts. I have decided to run screaming, leave the keel problem to the current owner and go look at other 501's. Thanks, Frank.