Click for YF Listing Service Click for Glendinning Click for Walker Click for JetForums Click for Westport

1986 Chris Craft Catalina 381 leaking exhaust water into the bilge

Discussion in 'Chris Craft Connies, Commanders & Catalinas' started by capnjim49, Oct 22, 2015.

1. capnjim49

capnjim49 New Member

My starboard engine (454 Mercruiser with closed cooling) is leaking exhaust water in the area of the muffler when the engine is running. When the engine is shut off, water drips from the bottom of the muffler until it is empty. Any information as to how to repair the muffller or how it is designed would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Capnjim 49
  2. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

Chances are if the muffler is leaking, if it's metal all of the material is in poor shape. Most likely without seeing it, I'd recommend replacing it as it's a good way to sink your boat if it ruptures. Not to mention CO gasses. The Port muffler is probably right behind the stbd one in condition.
  3. capnjim49

capnjim49 New Member

I appreciate your advice. CO certainly could be a problem. The outside of the muffler is all fiberglass going up to the exhaust pipe. Do you know where I can get a drawing or any information on the manufacturer that made them for Chris Craft? Anything would help.

Thanks,
  4. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

No I don't. I think the easiest route would be to find new fiberglass mufflers with similar dimensions and install them with wire bound exhaust hose and T-bolt clamps to the existing fiberglass piping.
  5. capnjim49

capnjim49 New Member

You have given me a good place to start. Do you think a fiberglas muffler can be patched? You have been a big help.
  6. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

Can it be patched, probably. Would I patch it, no.
  7. capnjim49

capnjim49 New Member

I agree.

Thanks,
  8. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Once a glass muffler has a problem, the rest is just holding on. Patching is NOT encouraged.
    I remember an old Chris I had, Cast iron mufflers just ahead of the transom. Yep, they failed. Ugly sight once I was finally able to crawl back there.
    Newer short glass mufflers fit rite in with new hose towards the transom and cutting just a few inches off the good looking hose from the engines. I don't know if my lighter wallet or if in real,,, she sounded a lot better.

Never cut corners on an exhaust system. Your life may depend on it.
  9. capnjim49

capnjim49 New Member

I alway listen to the voice of experience. I will have take a picture of the muffler and measure the inlet and outlet sizes. It looks to me to be about a 6" diameter hose. Does that sound about right for a 454 engine?
  10. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

It could be, the hose should be labeled as to the size (usually).