Click for Cross Click for Comfort Click for YF Listing Service Click for Westport Click for Glendinning

1984 Bertram 54 Rudder Replacment

Discussion in 'Bertram Yacht' started by Tom Childs, May 23, 2017.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Tom Childs

Tom Childs New Member

Hi everyone! My 1984 B54 (12V71TIs) had a bad rudder due to electrolysis when i bought her 4 years ago. Another odd thing was that this bad rudder was also smaller than the other one. Fifteen months ago I contracted with someone to, among many other things, have the bad rudder replaced with a brand new one - forged - sized to match the bigger one... Turns out that this person instead sent the bad/small to be "repaired" at a machine shop - then he "fared in" and painted it. The only reason I know today that it is not a brand new rudder is that my diver went down for his monthly bottom cleaning and chipped off a hunk of the repair. My question is this - - does anyone have any experience getting a replacement rudder for a B54, or does anyone know the dimensions of the standard rudder to see if it is in the Buck Algonquin stock (they don't know), or will I need to remove my good one and send it off somewhere to have it made? Thanks. Tom
  2. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

3. Tom Childs

Tom Childs New Member

Thanks. I use High Tide a lot. They don't have any and will have to have one forged. Update - had boat hauled. Flaps of fiberglass hanging off rudder. Had "repair" removed, measured good rudder and splashed her. Now in search for new/used rudder