Click for Westport Click for Abeking Click for Abeking Click for Delta Click for JetForums

1969 47' pacemaker restoration

Discussion in 'Vintage & Classic Yachts' started by 69paceman, Aug 24, 2013.

1. 69paceman

69paceman New Member

First of all, I'm new to not only the forums, but boat ownership entirely.
    So please do not hesitate to correct me when need be.

I recently bought a boat for my father and I do restore together, now his current illness will not allow him to.

I have been tossing it around in my head for a while now trying to find out what to do. The options are to sell it as is, fix it and sell it or fix it and keep it.
    Things I have to consider are the cost of transportation, the cost of repairs, the value of the boat as is, the value of the boat repaired.

A quick bit of info on the boat:
    Water line down needs new planks or other possibilities there (I have heard of people filing the gaps and fiberglassing just the bottom so from the water level up you still only see wood but it will never leak again).

The water level up appears to all be in excellent (almost perfect) condition.

It does need love in the interior, but the ribs all looked good, the genset oil was clean and looked good, all the windows are in great shape and the motors have been pickled.

What do you guys think I should do, any speculation as to values either way?

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Cheers mates!
  2. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

What does your surveyor say?

We all here fall in love with boats every day. Yep, like a puppy, take them home. We are blinded by many things.

If your working with an old boat, invest in a good survey. Tell him (her) your concerns and thoughts. The market, repairs, history and more can be explained by a good surveyor and then you may be able to make a smarter decision.

Were are all boat lovers here. let us know what you decide and keep us up.

,rc
  3. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

If you don't have plans to keep the boat after finishing it, you will most likely be money ahead selling it in its present condition. More often than not, restorations of wooden boats cost far more than you're likely to be able to sell it for finished.
  4. 69paceman

69paceman New Member

What do you guys think about fiberglassing the bottom of the boat, this way it doesn't have to be replaced again in the future. It will still be a woodie, but with extra protection on the bottom. Makes since right? Wouldn't that add value to me or anyone else planning on keeping the boat long term?
  5. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Glass over good wood, Yes. Glass over bad wood,, NO.
    Glass over wood is not to fix a bad hull. It's to protect and enhance a good hull.

It's going to take a pro to help you figure out if it's a good or bad hull.
  6. chuckb

chuckb Senior Member

Glass over hull also requires a tight deck!

Agreed, but an additional point is that once a wood hull is glassed over, water in the bilges spells eventual rot. So... the decks need to be tight also (usually meaning also glassed over), so that the bilges are generally dusty as opposed to awash (which isn't so bad if its a wood only hull...). That's a simple generalization... and as a previous post said... get a surveyor to advise what makes sense!:)
  7. 69paceman

69paceman New Member

What type of wood is supposed to be put on here? Or can are there options?
  8. 69paceman

69paceman New Member

Also, anyone know a good surveyor in the forth worth tx area?