Click for Ocean Alexander Click for Mag Bay Click for Mulder Click for Walker Click for YF Listing Service

1958 Burger raised pilothouse 85' -$165,000. Too good to be true?

Discussion in 'Burger Yacht' started by Wrightsville, Jul 14, 2008.

1. Wrightsville

Wrightsville New Member

I am new to the power yacht world. I have owned sail boats in the past. I saw an add for this boat and couldn't believe the bargin basement price on it. Does anyone know anything about this boat? It is hull #33 for Burger. Is it a good deal or will it be a money-pit?
  2. Dan Evans

Dan Evans Senior Member

I think it is safe to assume that anything that floats will be a money pit...
    :)
    Dan:
  3. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

she's gorgeous but it's going to take twice as much $$$ to bring her back. even assuming the hull is sound and the partial replate a few years ago was done right.

I also wonder how easy it is to get parts for the detroit 6-110 and the mercedes gennies.
  4. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

Shoot this guy am e mail, they came up first on a Google for parts for 6 110's

stevew-*at-transdiesel.co.nz

They claim to have a lot of old discontinued parts so one never knows.

Almost broke the golden rule and posted the e mail addy unaltered.
  5. Seafarer

Seafarer Senior Member

Also, this site was mentioned in a Detroit-related thread a while back... http://www.surplusman.com/Browse.php?menuid=110&catid=&imgOnly=0&pg=6

Also http://www.jobbersinc.com/detroitd.htm lists parts (as well as engines, but seemingly only power units and truck engines).
  6. SeaEric

SeaEric YF Historian

I recently represented an owner in the sale of his 1958 Broward 83' which was powered with 6-110's and had a Mercedes genset which needed a repair. We found parts for the Gen in England, and the 6-110's parts were no problem either. Both sources turned up quickly in Google searches on the net.
  7. Wrightsville

Wrightsville New Member

Thanks for the links on the Detroits! It's good to know it shouldn't be too much trouble to get parts. Does anyone by any chance know any history on this particular Burger? Or the quality of the hull recondition. I am sure that I could find out through a good survey, but I am not that far along yet. I am also sure that the broker will just assure me that the hull is in great shape.
  8. SeaEric

SeaEric YF Historian

I don't know the boat, but I do know the broker. When you speak to him, I believe that you will get an accurate assessment of her condition, to the extent that he is aware. On a metal hull, you will have to commission thorough surveys of hull and machinery to ascertain the true condition. Additionally, a separate electrical survey would be a good idea.
  9. Capt. Mike

Capt. Mike New Member

I have been looking into this boat and the ribs and stringers are in bad shape.

This is the kinda of boat that you better be able to do most of the work yourself. or you would be better off buying a boat that doesn't need much work. Did I mention the restoring the has to be your life for five years, and the money. You better have done this before to at least a fifty footer.

http://www.majesticsacrifice.com/