Click for Comfort Click for Westport Click for Burger Click for Ocean Alexander Click for Mulder

1919 Trumpy on E-Bay

Discussion in 'Trumpy Yacht' started by Barnacle Bill, Nov 8, 2013.

1. dsharp

dsharp Senior Member

Buying a wooden boat, much less a 100 year old one without hauling it out and checking the bottom is a crap shoot. There's no telling what sins got covered when they glassed the hull. Nothing quite like reefing out a garboard seem and having old bilge water running down your neck. Oh the smell
  2. Belle

Belle Member

Sniper.....is anything ever purchased another way on E-bay? That's why I use sniping software too because it's all a matter of competing auto bids at the end it seems. Guess it gets more money and gets E-bay more but as a buyer I don't like it. Annoying as heck. It's like Dave yelling Yup on Storage Wars.

Of course my hubby says sometimes the best bids are the ones you don't win. Who knows. Might well be ones lucky day. I might buy something small on E-Bay but I can't imagine buying a boat like that.
  3. SFS

SFS Senior Member

It certainly was an interesting situation.
  4. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

I even wonder if any yard in Key west will want to haul her out... I doubt it.

I wish whoever bought her will be able to restorer her but I wouldn't hold my breath. Maybe if she was further north, but in key West?
  5. vipersrt10

vipersrt10 New Member

1919 trumpy in key west

No i didnt win the bid. I guess you can say,i got blown out the water at the end.I did go by today and checked on the boat.It has been bought and paid for.The owners son told me the guy that bought the boat owns two Trumpys already and was looking for another project.He plans on having it pulled at a local marina.Although i didnt win the boat it seems like its gone to someone that can afford to really bring her back to her 1920s condition.I can live with that.
  6. SFS

SFS Senior Member

Thanks for the update. I really was fascinated by the situation.
  7. SeaEric

SeaEric YF Historian

And I'm really fascinated by the news that the buyer already owns 2 Trumpys. That really limits the possibilities of who the winning bidder was. I need to make a few phone calls....
  8. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

U don't call, U don't write and never sent flowers.....LOL

Look forward to what you can report.
    ,rc
  9. SeaEric

SeaEric YF Historian

I'm bad that way. I sent a text to the guy who I think was the buyer, so far no response. It occurs to me that he may not want this news out there. Stand by for updates.