Click for Mulder Click for Burger Click for Nordhavn Click for Delta Click for Glendinning

166 foot boat crew questions

Discussion in 'Yacht Crews' started by vallen, Jan 30, 2016.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. vallen

vallen New Member

my apologies in adavance for any poor gammer I have autism but Im great at mechical please correct my mistakes but dont get upset at me or think think i stupid i have a phd in engineering i just have a really hard time with english

ok i have these questions
    1 how many people should i have on a 166 foot electric boat boat crew

2 how many type of professions should there be on the crew

3 if i the engineer then should there be a driver

thank and have tye best day
  2. olderboater

olderboater Senior Member

You lost me first at 166' electric boat. Where is that coming from?
  3. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

The number and qualifications for the crew on a 166ft yacht will depend upon whether it is running commercially ( for hire) or private. If it is a combination of both the commercial manning will apply.

The actual make up will be determined by the flag states issue of a SMC (Safe Manning Certificate). The insurance company can also have some say in who does what on a vessel covered by them.

If you can reveal a bit more about the particular yacht it will help to get a more detailed answer.

I was Chief on a 168 ft Motor Yacht that ran commercially and privately with unrestricted operational areas that ran with

Capt
    Mate
    Bosun
    Deck 1
    Deck 2
    Deck 3
    Chef 1
    Chef 2
    Chief Stew
    2nd Stew
    Stew 3
    Stew 4
    C. Eng
    2nd Eng

and occasionally a Masseuse.
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2016
  4. olderboater

15 is the number I'm use to seeing on that size boat. Perhaps a 1st Officer and Mate/Bosun as one person. The 15th is often some dual position such as a Stew/Masseuse or a Personal Trainer/Deck hand or sometimes a junior stew just for laundry or something of that nature. But I'd expect very close to K1W1's list. I'm still wondering about the electric boat aspect though.
  5. Marmot

Marmot Senior Member

Don't think I have ever seen that position on a manning certificate.

Perhaps a scan through the manning suggestions of the most common yacht flag might shed some light on the subject.

At the 50m size, tonnage might be just on the edge of a determining factor as much as route and type of operation.

http://www.cishipping.com/portal/page/portal/srghome/crew/manning
  6. olderboater

I did not mean the three positions combined and I'm quite familiar with the manning requirements and terminology. Now as to your tonnage, most builders build in that range just under 500 Tons. That's why the popularity of yachts in the 160-165' range or so.

What I find most interesting is that while K1W1 and I did try to respond in a way to help the OP, and I did make a typo error, you just came in to criticize but did not offer your suggestion at all. I have no idea his flag state or his intended use of the boat. Also we were trying to look at the entire boat staffing. Masseuse isn't in the manual either.
  7. vallen

vallen New Member

I'm the co owner of the boat

The 166 foot electric powered boat is for commercial use it is custom made by us. It is to be used as a show room/shop for our custom drones it has wind and solar wind electric generators. is also insusured but rqiures an minuim of 7 crew members
    if you really think it'll work those 15 crew members ill start there
  8. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

What are you going to do with it?

Will you travel long distance etc?
  9. olderboater

What is it's cruising range with electric power?
  10. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

On a 160' and 172' I worked on we ran with 14-16 crew. 14 when the owner was off, but we had guests. 16 when the owner was on which added his purser and special stew. We ran 1 more on the deck side and 1 less on the stew side usually as we had a lot of tender movement and multiple tenders.

To the OP: WELL on a commercial yacht, the amount of crew is going to be totally different and it really depends first off on your manning requirements. A lot of the additional crew on yachts from your 7 may not be needed as much, such as stewardesses. The type of boat is going to change your needs as will the hours of operation.
  11. vallen

vallen New Member

most of my post didnt get throught for some reason?
    well to start from where the last post left off I do not believe that the cook is required on this boat sence it just for advertiselin / selling boats but we will need men to drive and maintain the boat. rc mechanic and rc builder and shop keeper will be aboard as well

the ship mechanic will be vallen who built the entire ship including the motor fom scratch
    I mark will be the shop keeper and a new employee will be the rc builder and repair personell
    now i need to know how many crew members will we need besides the people we aready have

and beyond thqt how much is reasonable to each person(s) for there per hour

thank you I mark or vallen will reply to you when we can
  12. Marmot

Marmot Senior Member

Your flag state administration is the only source for accurate manning information. I provided the link to the Cayman manning rules because they are a good representation of what you might expect if the boat is registered as a yacht and it shows the various levels for various uses. If the boat is strictly a commercial vessel with no pretense of being a yacht then it is even more important to go directly to your maritime administration for reliable advice as a yacht limited licenses are not valid for service on a commercial vessel.

Your description sounds like a that of a special service vessel so normal manning levels may or may not apply. Since the layout of interior space may be substantially different from a pleasure yacht, you must work closely with your flag administration and naval architect or you may run into tonnage issues which make considerable differences in manning and licensing levels. You need advice from the people who will issue the certificates and they will need far more information than has been published here.

The standard disclaimers about legal or investment advice apply to this subject.
  13. Ken Bracewell

Ken Bracewell Senior Member

If, as I believe, you are asking how many people (flag-state requirements aside) will be required to operate and maintain the vessel, I would say the following:
    Captain
    Chief Engineer
    First Officer
    Bosun
    Deckhand (could also double as 2nd engineer)
    2nd Engineer (Vallen sounds talented, but a new ship will likely have growing pains and he will need assistance)
    Steward/ess
    Cook

I know that you said you don't think you'll need a cook, but somebody will need to feed those folks while they are operating the vessel. You'll also want a steward to keep the vessel livable.

That's my two-cents. I suppose I should also say that I am the captain of a 164' private yacht.
  14. olderboater

And like most in that range, yours is 496 Tons.

Which brings up a question for the OP's. How many decks does the boat have? That would play a role in crew needs as well. How much area to keep clean. What kind of layout? Does the lower deck have staterooms or is it all mechanical?