Click for Walker Click for Abeking Click for Comfort Click for Ocean Alexander Click for Abeking

134m ‘Serene’ runs aground in Red Sea

Discussion in 'General Yachting Discussion' started by jeduardo, Aug 28, 2017.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. jeduardo

jeduardo New Member

Sources have reported that the 134m Fincantieri build, Serene, has run aground in the Red Sea, 20 nautical miles east of popular Egyptian holiday resort, Sharm El Sheikh.

The vessel is reportedly bow-up on the rocks, and has sustained structural damage to the bulb, bow and hull. The hull has allegedly punctured forward – while there is no water ingress at present, there are concerns of her sustaining further damage on the rocks.

The cause is thought to be a navigational track error and propulsion failure, although this information is not yet confirmed.

The situation is said to be resolvable with a hull patch and ballast placed aft, however weather conditions have not favoured her removal, but are improving.
  2. Gage Rowden7

Gage Rowden7 Senior Member

OMG NO!! One of my favorite yachts... Dang.. Serene just got back from refit recently as well. I bet the owner isn't too happy with this!
  3. German Yachting

German Yachting Senior Member

4. Scott W

Scott W Senior Member

Holy moly. That's a significant grounding considering how little tidal range there is in the Red Sea, particularly in the central Red Sea (think a couple feet, at most and if that). I'm not sure a 'patch and ballast' is going to dislodge her from that position.
  5. Gage Rowden7

Gage Rowden7 Senior Member

Well that sucks! One of my favorites.. Hope they can get it out and get it fixed.. Glad I got the chance to see it in Miami while I could...
  6. T.K.

T.K. Senior Member

7. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Any updates?
  8. German Yachting

German Yachting Senior Member

It appears the photo was pulled and I unfortunately didn’t save a copy of it. I’m not sure of her current location and if she is off the rocks.
  9. ApreMare

ApreMare Senior Member

I took a screenshot thinking it would be pulled off soon. We are talking about one of the largest and most expensive superyachts in the world thats well known to be owned by the person who is next in line to the throne in Saudi Arabia, no wonder there is lack of news and updates. I'm sure if this happened somewhere in the med it would be almost impossible to block the news. The remote location of the yacht makes it very difficult for us to get updates... Unfortunately
  10. ApreMare

ApreMare Senior Member

The amateur that i am I couldnt attach the image If someone can dm me with their email address I will gladly email it to them:)
  11. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

We can not publish pictures we don´t own the rights to...
  12. T.K.

T.K. Senior Member

A lot of pictures being posted on yachtforums by members are simply general pictures found on the internet. What makes this specific picture any different if it is also a random picture found on the internet? It has no watermarks or copyright.
  13. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

What makes it different is that the owner of the picture removed it from his Instagram, probably for a reason... Besides, all pictures are with copyright if not stated as free or very old...
  14. ApreMare

ApreMare Senior Member

Does anyone have any update on the status of Serene?
  15. T.K.

T.K. Senior Member

AMG, how would you compare the following post on YF (screenshot below) to posting an image of M/Y Serene aground found on Instagram. Nobody commented on the post below raising copyright issues of the shown images. There are numerous other examples.

YF Post 080917.jpg
  16. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

The main difference is that this post is showing an existing Instagram page. Still, the photographer may ask us to remove it...
  17. ApreMare

ApreMare Senior Member

I received an email from a respected yachting website's director saying the owners representatives are trying to block any news abut the incident
  18. T.K.

T.K. Senior Member

Assuming a picture is taken by a bystander of a yacht while she is aground, who controls the use of the picture, the photographer (bystander) or the owner of the yacht which ran aground?

I don't believe the existence or non-existence of the instagram page is an argument to post or not to post an image about a certain incident as long as the image has no copyrights.

The image below is of a similar incident and was recently posted on YF. No objections were raised.

Cannes 0917.jpg
  19. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

From what I hear there is a total news blackout. I heard all devices were searched for images of the vessel high and dry. I was also told that all but essential crew have been let go and threatened with all sorts to keep any photos they do have to themselves.
  20. nmna

nmna Senior Member

For those who didn't watch them, there are some pictures of the accident (and an article of dubious nature) on a famous car forum.