Click for Abeking Click for Westport Click for Perko Click for Mulder Click for Walker

Azimut, Marquis or Princess

Discussion in 'General Yachting Discussion' started by newbienew, Feb 8, 2008.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. newbienew

newbienew New Member

Hello everyone, I'm a newbie.

Thinking of purchasing flybridge in the 50's range(new).
    Any recommendations? It doesn't have to be from above choices.
    I would appreciate the reason for your choice.
    Thank you very much.
  2. hat4349

hat4349 Senior Member

A few questions for clarification, my 50s range do you mean feet or dollars. If you mean feet what is your approximate budget, it helps to make any recommendations. I asked that questions a few years ago and found out quickly just because I knew what I meant didn't mean the people I was asking did, so clarify and provide as much information as possible. There are people on here that are very well qualified to advise you if you give them the information they need.
  3. KCook

KCook Senior Member

Also - Will you be operating the yacht yourself sometimes? Or always with crew at the helm?

Kelly Cook
  4. SeaEric

SeaEric YF Historian

Geography may play a part in the answer. "Earth" as a location is fine and good, but a tad more specificity may help in an intelligent response. An example: Owning a French built automobile may not be a bad idea if you live in France. Otherwise, perhaps not so much.
  5. hat4349

hat4349 Senior Member

SeaEric is correct about geography especially for power requirements. Not trying to scare just a lot to consider when asking for recommendations for a yacht.
  6. newbienew

newbienew New Member

I meant feet and as for budget, about 3 million US dollars, but hopefully I can keep it under 2 million. I'll be operating the yacht myself most of the time.
    I was considering Azimut 55 Evolution, or Azimut 58.
    Any suggestions or recommendations?
  7. KCook

KCook Senior Member

If yachts from both America and Europe are accessible to you, then that really opens up a wide range of yachts! Just for style, I'm more comfortable with the flybridge models by UK and US brands. But that is purely a personal view, different strokes for different folks. And, just to keep the record balanced, I love the Italian sport (open) yachts.

Fun topic! Here is a link to another thread that may help -

Opinions on flybridge yachts 50 feet

Kelly
  8. newbienew

newbienew New Member

Thanks for the information Kelly, very useful.
  9. Fishtigua

Fishtigua Senior Member

Hi welcome aboard

Are you going to keep the boat in Japanese waters? The Regs are very specific for personal yacht ownership under the Rising Sun flag. Please think about off-shore registration.
    Dave
  10. newbienew

newbienew New Member

Thanks for the welcome FISHTIGUA.

When you say specific, do you mean strict? What do you suggest:confused:
  11. T.K.

T.K. Senior Member

My experience is with Fairline yachts. I had a Phantom 48 and now a Squadron 78. They are also of British make. IMO they are excellent boats and Fairline's aftersales is impeccable. In brief, they are great people to deal with. Fairline have introduced now a new boat in the 50ft range. It is the Squadron 55. A magnificent yacht and a very nice interior. It costs around US$ 1.6Mill. They also have the Phantom 50 which costs around US$ 1.1Mill. Both are flybridge yachts.
  12. newbienew

newbienew New Member

Thanks for the info TK-F430, I will go check out the yacht if I get a chance.

I did check out all three yachts couple of days ago. I think I'm going to scratch out Marquis from the choice. Between Azimut 58 and Princess 58, both new, anybody have any suggestions/comments? I hardly see any thread about Princess yachts. Does that mean its not too popular in US?
  13. lwrandall

lwrandall senior member

Princess Yachts are not sold in the US. Princess Yachts are sold under the name Viking Sport Cruisers(do a search for that), which are "Americanized" versions of Princess Yachts. This means they use more US made parts and accesories. Also, they are about 25% HIGHER in price than their Princess counterparts. Why you may ask? The buyer has to pay for three sets of profit margins. Princess's profit then Viking's profit then the dealer profit.
  14. vivariva

vivariva Senior Member

Azimut

Hello,

I have been researching for a yacht in similar length but with a different style.

What I write is surely personal preference, but Azimut seems a better choice than a Princess. The interior seems more pleasant. In terms of owning a flybridge though, I always thought that compared to its length, there is too much weight aloft. This is an opinion, I remind you. These motor-yachts roll heavily sometimes. I hope the professionals who participate in this forum can extrapolate a through comparison for the brands you consider.

Could you specify as to the location where the yacht would be moored and the locations you intend to sail? Taking your budget into consideration, would you like to try a fresh design with a naval architect to suit your needs?

Good luck in your purchase

Regards
    vivariva
  15. nilo

nilo Senior Member

Although Azimuts are very attractively designed, Princess build quality could be a thick better. Fairline definitely better in build quality and Ferretti should be at par with Fairline.

All these boats are planing boats, so their stabilty is obtained through the fast movement of the hull in the water. If the seas are high, then it may not be comfortable and at times dangerous to keep a planing speed, then because of the hull design (flat bottom), the boat will roll heavily.

For stability at high seas one should consider displacement or semi-displacement boats backed by stabilizers.
  16. Camargue44

Camargue44 New Member

Hi, you can consider exactly what do you need. Italian boats have more space in the interior because of the not so V hull and they have plenty of space, on the other hand English boats such as Princess or Sunseeker(which i would prefer Sunseeker instead of Princess) have deep V hull that means less space in the interior but much better way acting on waves, but i believe that deeper V hull yachts have more fuel consumption. May i make some suggestions about yachts? well i say : Azimuth 55E, Manhattan 52 Sunseeker, Uniesse MY 53. But whatever you want to choose. Dont put the standar engines that they offer. choose engine that are suitable for the yacht so you wont have any problems about pressurize the engines if you are loaded. watch that please.
  17. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

Sorry, but I couldnĀ“t resist to agree on that statement..;)
  18. hat4349

hat4349 Senior Member

Originally Posted by Camargue44
    ...so you wont have any problems about pressurize the engines if you are loaded. watch that please.

I understand about back pressure on the exhaust, the pressure in the engine cylinders, but I don't understand what you mean by this statement. Please explain for me, thanks.
  19. Ken Bracewell

Ken Bracewell Senior Member

I'd recommend staying tied to the dock when you're loaded, so I wouldn't worry about pressurizing the engines in that state of mind. :D
  20. CODOG

CODOG Senior Member

:D Being glued and screwed is fine when you are a boat, but not a boat user.